Private Residential Tenancy Updates For Landlords



The Scottish Government recently published updated versions of the model Private Residential Tenancy Agreement, Easy Read Notes and Statutory Terms Supporting Notes. These updates take account of changes to data protection laws, as well as other minor edits and clarifications.

Updated documents are on the Scottish Government’s website:

Landlords can also use the Model Tenancy Agreement tool to create tenancy agreements for their tenants




Message for “Our Power” Fuel Customers

We’ve been notified that the electricity and gas supplier Our Power has ceased trading. If you are a customer of Our Power, an alternative supplier will be appointed for you by Ofgem, the energy regulator. Your electricity and gas supply will not be affected in the meantime.

Should you need further information, please see the advice on the Our Power website.

Understanding Universal Credit – New Website for Private Landlords

uc web for lanlords


To help private landlords get a better understanding of Universal Credit, the Department for Work and Pensions has developed a landlord communication campaign, Understanding Universal Credit, with top tips for private landlords and details of how to apply for a managed payment.

 One important piece of information which landlords can find on the website is how to apply for a direct payment of housing costs which could protect tenancies of tenants who aren’t managing their rental payments.

Housing Options – Customer Satisfaction Survey – January, February & March





A new Housing Options survey is open now for collecting responses between January and March 2019.

If you met with one of our Housing Options officers to talk about your housing circumstances, please give us your opinion about our service by completing the survey.

Big Energy Saving Week events in Angus

This year Big Energy Saving Week starts on Monday 21 January 2019. It is a national campaign to help people cut their energy bills and get all the financial support they are entitled to.

The week focuses on raising public awareness of:

  • how to save money on energy costs by switching energy supplier or tariff
  • how to access discounts or grants
  • how to make homes more energy efficient.

This is the 8th Big Energy Saving Week and is a partnership between Citizens Advice Scotland (CAB), Home Energy Scotland, Citizens Advice and the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy with the support of numerous organisations, charities and companies.

Join one of the CHECK-SWITCH-SAVE events in Angus on Tuesday 22 January :

  • at FriockHub, Eastgate, Friockheim DD11 4TG, 9.30am-11.30am
  • at Firestation, Scott Street, Brechin DD9 7BQ,  12.30pm-2.30pm

Discounted value affordable house for sale in Arbroath

If you want to own your own home, but are on a low income, here’s an opportunity that may interest you.

Discounted value affordable housing is available for sale on the Little Cairnie development in Arbroath

2 bed house

For discounted sale:   2 bedroomed house

Estimated completion date:   March 2019

The full details of the property are on Thorntons website

Applicants for discounted sale units must:

  • have household income lower than £28,739 (single person) or £43,928 (couple)
  • be normally resident, or employed, in Angus
  • have a demonstrable housing need

Our Housing Developments Website gives more details about this project.

Calling residents of Nursery Park and River Street in Brechin

Montrose and Brechin Communities Team is holding a residents’ meeting for the Nursery Park/River Street area in Brechin to discuss proposed environmental improvements to the area – see flyer below.

flyerCome and join the meeting and tell us what you think of proposed improvements to the area.

Plans are available to view at Brechin Library, St Ninians Place, Brechin and at the Bridgend Bar, River Street, Brechin.




Interested in a House Exchange?

If you’re a Council or Housing Association tenant and want to move home, a mutual exchange could be the answer.

A tenant can exchange with:

  • another Angus Council tenant
  • a tenant of a registered social landlord
  • a tenant of another council

We will allow an exchange if it is in line with our social housing allocation policy. Other landlords will have their own rules about this.

A mutual exchange ends the tenant’s current tenancy and starts a new one. A tenant cannot exchange their property without permission from their landlord.

To find a suitable match you can register on the House Exchange website. When a match is found both parties need to complete a mutual exchange application form.

mutual exchange

There were 25 successful tenancy exchanges in Angus last year and there are 437 tenants registered with House Exchange.

You should check the condition of the other property as once the exchange has taken place, you are responsible for the property.

You should also agree with the other tenant if anything is to be left such as carpets or curtains.

Check the tenancy agreement of the other tenant to make sure you know if there are any differences to your current tenancy.

If you are a joint tenant, all tenants must agree to the exchange.

If you need help to use the House Exchange website, please contact us via ACCESSLine on 03452 777 778.

If you want to know more about House Exchange, you can read their Annual report .