Help for People Affected by Domestic Abuse

If you are experiencing domestic abuse help is available. Don’t delay in seeking help during the lockdown.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse is not always physical violence. It can also include, but is not limited to:

  • coercive control and ‘gaslighting’
  • economic abuse
  • online abuse
  • verbal abuse
  • emotional abuse
  • sexual abuse

What signs to look for:

If you believe that you or someone else could be a victim of domestic abuse, there are signs that you can look out for, including:

  • being withdrawn
  • having bruises
  • someone else controlling their finances
  • not being allowed to leave the house
  • monitoring technology use such as social media platforms

 Where to get help ?

Don’t delay in getting help or reporting domestic abuse because of the coronavirus situation.

Domesticabusehelpline 1


Call the 24-hour Domestic Abuse Helpline in confidence on 0800 027 1234 or visit the Safer Scotland website

If it is an emergency, always dial 999 and ask for the Police.

For links to services in Angus visit our website

SMS 999 text system

People who are Deaf, hard of hearing or have issues communicating verbally can use the SMS 999 text system (you must register for this service).

For non-emergency use dial 101. Members of the deaf community can use the Contact Scotland facility. You can find the online form on the Scotland Police website.

If you are behaving in an abusive or harmful way please call Justice Services in confidence on 07920284216 and we will work with you to make positive changes.



Tips for Doing It Yourself – Get Advice!

For home owners, some DIY work within the home or garden may need planning or Building Warrant approval. It could be an offence not to have the necessary approvals in place and it could also jeopardise any future sale of the property.


During the lockdown, lots of people are planning home or garden improvements. It could be a shed, a garden room, fence or internal home alterations.

We want to help householders to avoid any unnecessary upset and provide information that can hopefully allow them to crack on with projects with peace of mind.

To find out whether your projects need planning permission or a Building Warrant see our news website.

 Alterations and improvements by Angus Council tenants

You must get permission before making any alterations or improvements to your council house including:

  • any work involving electrics
  • any work involving gas
  • any work which involves changing fixtures and fittings

Before carrying out any work, contact us on ACCESSLine 03452 777 778.

Standard decorating, such as scraping wallpaper or painting, does not need permission

COVID-19 Home Fire Safety Checklist

As we are all spending more time at home, there may be an increased risk of fire.

If you, or someone you know is a smoker over 50 years old (who live alone, have long term health or mobility problems or use medical oxygen) please use the contact number below for advice on what to do next.

Otherwise, use this checklist to help keep you and others safe during these challenging times. Once done, you can call the Fire Service with any queries – they are here to help keep you safe.


poster 1




You can find all this information in the  COVID19HomeFireSafetyChecklist poster

Scotish Fire and Rescue Service

Wellbeing Fund to help Voluntary Organisations support people affected by coronavirus

The Wellbeing Fund is now open for applications.

Fund aims

The Wellbeing Fund aims to support organisations across the third sector that are providing important services to people who are most affected by the coronavirus pandemic.

This round of funding opened for applications on 8 May 2020. To be considered for funding, applications must be received by noon on 22 May 2020.

What is funding available for?

The Wellbeing Fund is focused on providing funding to organisations that can support people who are facing additional barriers or have increased requirements as a direct result of the coronavirus pandemic. It can fund both immediate and emerging forms of support, from now up to the end of July 2020, reflecting that the context for people and communities may change over that time.

Application process

Complete the online application form and return it along with any requested supporting documents before noon on Friday 22 May 2020.

More detail and full eligibility criteria is available on the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations (SCVO) website

Further information

For any additional support or any further questions before applying, please email


SCVA logo

New crisis fund to help households in fuel poverty

Scarf has partnered with Home Energy Scotland to launch a new emergency hardship fund. The fund aims to help the most vulnerable households heat their homes in these difficult times.

SCARF crisis fund

The Scarf Heat Fund will help provide instant access to heat for those most at risk of, or suffering from fuel poverty.

The fund can provide help and support in the form of:

  • Plug-in heaters.
  • Prepayment cards.
  • Access to costs for emergency boiler repairs.

This is not an exhaustive list and each application will be treated on a case-by-case basis with those suffering from fuel poverty given priority.

For more information on how to reduce your energy use while at home you can check out the Scarf website or access free and impartial advice from the Scarf team by speaking to one of our experienced advisors.


SCARF & HES number

Call Home Energy Scotland at Scarf on 0808 808 2282 for more information on how to access Scarf’s fund as well as other grants and schemes.

Urgent: Calling Private Landlords in Arbroath

We are currently having difficulty finding accommodation for people with urgent housing needs in Arbroath.

If you have any accommodation that you could let now, please contact

Any accommodation will be considered, although 1 bedroomed accommodation is most in need.

Benefits for landlords:

  • Avoid property sitting empty / rent loss
  • We will assess the suitability of potential tenants, including financial assessment
  • We can support the tenant to access a rent deposit
  • Information and advice available about landlord’s rights and responsibilities and other aspects of private sector tenancy legislation
  • Support, advice and assistance to resolve any disputes that may arise
  • Support for tenants by helping them to sustain their tenancies including, budgeting, paying bills and connections to utilities

We wanted to thank all the private landlords who have contacted us over the last week to help us support people with urgent housing need into private rented tenancies.