Tips for Doing It Yourself – Get Advice!

For home owners, some DIY work within the home or garden may need planning or Building Warrant approval. It could be an offence not to have the necessary approvals in place and it could also jeopardise any future sale of the property.


During the lockdown, lots of people are planning home or garden improvements. It could be a shed, a garden room, fence or internal home alterations.

We want to help householders to avoid any unnecessary upset and provide information that can hopefully allow them to crack on with projects with peace of mind.

To find out whether your projects need planning permission or a Building Warrant see our news website.

 Alterations and improvements by Angus Council tenants

You must get permission before making any alterations or improvements to your council house including:

  • any work involving electrics
  • any work involving gas
  • any work which involves changing fixtures and fittings

Before carrying out any work, contact us on ACCESSLine 03452 777 778.

Standard decorating, such as scraping wallpaper or painting, does not need permission