COVID-19 – Update on Housing Allocations

Following the Scottish Government announcement to move into Phase 2 of their route map, we have further reviewed our Lettings and Allocations service.

We are currently only allocating properties in very limited circumstances and we are following new arrangements that allow our customers, contractors, and staff to maintain social distancing.

Mutual Exchanges will not restart until Phase 3 which will not be before 13 July, however further information will be provided nearer the time.

We will continue to correspond with applicants mainly by email and phone, so please continue to ensure that you have an up to date email address and contact number on your application.

As the situation is continuously changing, we will keep you up to date with any changes to the service, when they will take place.

If you need to apply for housing, please download an application form or contact your local housing office.


Enter the House Exchange crossword competition and win a Google Home Hub!

For registered users of the House Exchange mutual exchange website. For more information about House Exchange, see our previous post.

It’s easy to enter

Solve the crossword clues and fill in the blanks.

Please email your answers to

Make sure you put House Exchange Crossword as the subject.

House Exchange can accept entries in any of these ways:

  • photo of your finished crossword
  • list of the answers
  • completed crossword attached

Don’t forget to include your name and House Exchange number.

Closing date 19 December 2019.


Hosue Exchnage logo

You can also download the crossword from HERE

Interested in a House Exchange?

If you’re a Council or Housing Association tenant and want to move home, a mutual exchange could be the answer.

A tenant can exchange with:

  • another Angus Council tenant
  • a tenant of a registered social landlord
  • a tenant of another council

We will allow an exchange if it is in line with our social housing allocation policy. Other landlords will have their own rules about this.

A mutual exchange ends the tenant’s current tenancy and starts a new one. A tenant cannot exchange their property without permission from their landlord.

To find a suitable match you can register on the House Exchange website. When a match is found both parties need to complete a mutual exchange application form.

mutual exchange

There were 25 successful tenancy exchanges in Angus last year and there are 437 tenants registered with House Exchange.

You should check the condition of the other property as once the exchange has taken place, you are responsible for the property.

You should also agree with the other tenant if anything is to be left such as carpets or curtains.

Check the tenancy agreement of the other tenant to make sure you know if there are any differences to your current tenancy.

If you are a joint tenant, all tenants must agree to the exchange.

If you need help to use the House Exchange website, please contact us via ACCESSLine on 03452 777 778.

If you want to know more about House Exchange, you can read their Annual report .

House Exchange option for social tenants



There are many different reasons why you would like to move home. Maybe the kids have moved away and you have too many rooms, or maybe you’re expecting another child and you need that extra space. Or maybe you’d like a garden or maybe your garden is too much for you. Exchanging your home with someone else is called a Mutual Exchange.

The mutual exchange allows Council and Housing Association tenants to exchange homes with the permission of their landlords. You can register online and look for a property you like. When you find someone who wants to exchange, you complete this short form and contact your landlord to ask for permission.

You can find more information on the mutual exchange process here.